- 1. Pod (08:38)
- 2. Oat (06:33)
- 3. Branes (26:25)
“calibrated, while exploring sound material richly and profoundly, is nevertheless musical,
sensitive, intense, strong and compelling. Recommended!” - Improv Sphere
“It is impossible not to appreciate that the music-making undertaken on Calibrated is part of a
rich and ongoing conversation between two of Australia's most engaging improv artists.” Gail
Priest - Real Time.
* Mike Majkowski (MM) and Jim Denley (JD) formed b l i p in 2008
* They've been members of the Splinter Orchestra (splitrec 17) since 2002, when MM was 19 and JD 45 - a difference of 26 years.
* JD is 55 and MM 29 - still a difference of 26 years.
* c a l i b r a t e d was recorded one afternoon in Narrabeen, Sydney, 24th August 2010 from 2pm –4pm.
* They used 4 microphones.
* There are 3 tracks on the CD 1. p o d – 8.38 2. o a t - 6.33 3. b r a n e s – 26.25. The total length is 41.52.
This is the order MM + JD recorded them in – only 3 edits went on afterwards.
* It was MM + JD s' 6th attempt to make a CD. In the words of Samuel Beckett “Try again, Fail again. Fail better.”
* Paradoxically, they regard the work as being both composed and improvised.
* MM uses double bass, pitch pipes and objects.
* JD uses alto sax, bass flute, dismantled bass flute, prepared flute, Czech school flute, bamboo flute and balloons (although sometimes it's just easier to say wind instruments).